Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gryffin's Trick or Treating Extravaganza

I know this is a little late, but I'm just now getting around to writing about Gryffin's first experience with trick-or-treating. It was such a monumental event that I wanted to take the time to do the story justice. Now it's almost two weeks later, I'm swamped with work (I've got a yearbook deadline, SACS review, School Improvement Team meetings, Washington DC trip week after next, rough draft of book due before Christmas, Science Fair before Christmas, CHRISTMAS, I could go on but its just going to depress me so I'll stop there). So I decided I better write this entry before I completely forget what happened.

Since Gryffin is only 2.4 years old, this is his first year trick-or-treating. I did make him a costume for his first Halloween; it was a smiley face pull-over that took me six yards of fabric and four hours to make. I am not kidding. Kinda makes me wish I'd been able to take home ec in high school.....but, as usual, I digress. Anyway, this year Gryffin got to wear the dinosaur costume we purchased when he was a newborn and stored just for this happy occasion. He was very excited about being a dinosaur, and when we put the costume on him he "roared" around the house and attacked anything silly enough to be still for a moment. So he was very excited about dressing up, but he didn't understand about trick-or-treating.

We took him to my in-laws, who live in a country club and have access to lots of houses in easy walking distance. We didn't plan on doing a lot of trick-or-treating; after all, does a 2.4 yr old really need sugar? So we planned on visiting two or three houses near my in-laws.

We set out rather late, as it was already growing dark. I designated myself the official photographer and took pictures as Justin and Gryffin walked hand-in-hand down the side of the road. Gryffin seemed a little unsure of the dark, but when reminded that he was a dinosaur, he confidently roared his way to the first house. I stayed back to snap photographs while Justin and Gryffin mounted the steps and rang the door bell.

The young girl who answered the door smiled at Gryffin, mentioned how cute he was, and then held out a tray with two pieces of candy for him to take. Gryffin, knowing a good thing when he sees one, immediately grabbed the candy and said "tank oo." The girl wished them good night, shut the door, and my boys rejoined me on the sidewalk.

Justin and I were curious to see what Gryffin's response would be. He kept staring at the house, repeating, "trick-or-treat candy?" and looking at the two pieces of candy in his basket. By this time, it was very dark and we could hear screams coming from the houses further down (I believe they were doing something to scare the trick-or-treaters, so we decided the one stop was plenty). We turned and began walking back towards our car.

Gryffin apparently decided he liked the concept of trick-or-treating. All the way back to the car, he shouted, "trick-or-treating love oo!" I'd say that's a rave review if ever I've heard one.