Friday, May 8, 2009

A Side Order of Narcotics, Please

Yesterday I took Gryffin out to eat at the local Pizza Hut. Apparently the restaurant had recently hired new staff; we had a regular waitress and a young "trainee" just learning the ropes. This young man hesitantly took our order while the waitress watched. I could tell he was nervous; he kept swallowing, fidgeting, and blushing.

Now, Gryffin was in a very good mood and obviously feeling boisterous. The hostess chose to sit us directly in front of the large screen television playing reruns of the Smurfs, and that didn't help matters. Pretty soon, Gryffin was doing his best to dismantle the newly built restaurant; I was doing my best to calm him down without causing a scene (in other words, without spanking him in public and getting my butt hauled to jail).

Our nervous young waiter returned with our order. While he served us, Gryffin decided it would be an excellent idea to climb the curtains....literally. I was pulling him back down, he was screeching "up, Mommy!" and general mayhem ensued (as is usually the case).

The waiter watched all this commotion, wide-eyed. After setting down our meal, he cleared his throat and shyly asked if we needed anything else.

Now, most people I know are familiar with my sarcastic wit, and my response would not shock those folks at all. However, this young man was not someone I knew.

Exasperated with Gryffin, who was once again shimmying up the curtains, I quipped, "Can you bring us some Valium, please?"

The young man swallowed, studied his menu pad, and then glanced at the other waitress. Leaning towards her, he whispered, "I don't see that on the menu. Is it a special?"

Needless to say, we left a nice tip.