Thursday, May 28, 2009

Doodle's Doodle

Last night, Gryffin sat on my lap and regaled me with various drawings on his MagnaDoodle (a slate-type device that lets you draw and erase with magnetized fillings and a magnetic pencil). First he drew me a duck (which closely resembled a blob). Next he drew me a dinosaur (which closely resembled a larger blob). Then he drew me a tiger (which closely resembled an even larger blob....sensing a pattern?). Finally, he decided to take requests and asked what I would like for him to draw.

"How about drawing me a smiley face?" I asked. As most of you know, I have a serious addiction to smiley faces. Although I am seeking treatment, my addiction remains perilous.

"Okay," he replied. He erased his previous pictures, stuck out his tongue, and carefully placed two dots in the middle of the MagnaDoodle.

"The eyes!" he told me gleefully.

Then he drew a squiggly line underneath them. "The mouth!" He was now wiggling with delight.

"Very good," I agreed. "But where's his nose?"

He concentrated for a second, then added another dot. "His nose!"

"Nice." I complimented. "But where are his ears?"

Gryffin gave me an exasperated look. Then he carefully added to blobs to the side of the 'face.' "Ears," he announced.

I noticed his enthusiasm seemed to be waning.

"I like those ears," I told him. "But where is his hair?"

By now Gryffin was obviously frustrated with my art critique. He shook his head stubbornly and growled, "No hair."

"No hair? Of course he needs hair! Where is his hair?"

Gryffin again shook his head. "No hair, Momma! No hair!"

I studied my exasperated son closely. "Why doesn't he have hair, Gryffin?"

With a triumphant gleam in his eye, Gryffin announced, "It's Daddy!"

Of course I shared it with my husband.